So we've moved. After 4 and a half years of living in the sleepy, but beautiful town of New Bern, NC my wife and I have moved to the relative metropolis of Louisville, KY. We moved in around the first of July and have just been trying to get settled since then. I'm waiting tables and my wife is still looking for a job. I'm kind of skipping ahead, though. But, since, I don't know if anyone actually reads this post, (aside from my brother-in-law who made fun of the blog title) I guess it doesn't matter. But, in a nutshell, here's what has happened over the past few years that led us to making this move.
I'd been in the TV biz for only a year or two when I started feeling very discontent. Since this can also just be flesh and sin, I ignored it for a long time thinking I just needed a change of scenery. The feelings of desperation and the struggle to find meaning in my work intensified and I began to talk with God about it (I know, I'm a quick study). He began to direct my heart through His Word and several key relationships toward the idea of ministry. And that's all it was at first, 'an idea'. I had always had some vague belief that someday I might end up in a full-time ministry position. But, I had also thought that ministry requires 'a call'. And it does, but it doesn't necessarily look like what I thought. Through prayer and conversations with Godly influences in Em and I's life. He began to define and direct our hearts and our plans. About two years ago my wife and I were spending time with her sister and husband before they left for Asia. We started talking about the future and they mentioned that they had been praying for us and they also brought up Seminary as a potential next step. After that, I couldn't get it off my mind. Em and I prayed and prayed and talked and struggled and prayed some more, and eventually God brought us both to the place where we believed that we were to follow his lead and pursue training for a life of ministry. We tried to take the careful road first, by saying we wouldn't leave unless God provided a job. Well...He didn't, but through another 'divine appointment' God brought just the right couple into our lives. Their message was simple. "He called us to walk by faith, not by sight". He confirmed this message in our hearts, so we left. Now, here I am several months later at Panera Bread typing this blog post which I'm about to send out into the oblivion of cyberspace. I'm waiting tables, my wife is unemployed, and we have no idea how he is going to provide. So this is it, the beginning of the adventure...
Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Michael,
I wanted to leave you a comment to let you know that people DO read your blog! After reading your thoughts on Packer from FB, I followed your page to your blog and I am so glad I did!
It is wonderful to see how the Lord is leading your family in this season of faith-walking! I am unsure if we will ever have the chance to talk through all that the Lord is doing in person (or even with voices), but I know the Lord has my family on a similar journey.
If I can leave you with anything, it would be exceeding encouragement, as a brother in our Lord, that He is faithful to Himself and to you and His promises are true, they are life to you and rock for you to stand on! Truly His steadfast love endures forever!
Lauren and I will be praying as you and your family continue to transition. I trust the Lord will equip you through your Seminary training (I love Dr. Plummer by the way) with a love for His Word and His ways, and a heart that is being preserved in love with Christ.
Thank you for the consistent testimony of your life as a fragrance of Christ - truly you are a faithful brother and witness!
Post a Comment