The 'Emergent Church' movement is something that has been going on now for several years. I've only been aware of it for the past year or two, and I've only begun to try and figure out what it is within the past few weeks. So...needless to say, this isn't an exhaustive and fully-researched critique of the movement. It is simply a few observations on the teachings and writings of two men who seem to be at the forefront of this movement. I'm not here to throw stones. I've found plenty of websites offering critiques of these men and the 'emergent' church. But, most of these websites were so very mean-spirited and hostile that I had trouble giving any validity to what was posted based on the overall tone. I know Jesus hated lies and falsehoods. He said that it would be better to have a millstone hung around your neck and then be tossed into the sea than to mislead a 'little one'. But, I'm also aware that he urged us to "speak the truth in love", and that the world will "know us by our Love". So if there is no tone of love, then I question the legitamacy of the truth they profess. Anyway...I'm getting distracted. What I decided to do was read some of what Rob Bell and Brian McLaren wrote then see how it stacked up with scripture. I read Rob Bell's Velvet Elvis and this article on Homosexuality by Brian McLaren http://blog.christianitytoday.com/outofur/archives/2006/01/brian_mclaren_o.html
in each piece there were tidbits of truth and wisdom that I was able to glean, but for the most part I was left a little...frustrated. They didn't seem to really say anything! And...that may have been the point. Rob Bell repeatedly says in his book that he just wants to make us think. Rethink our approach to church and Christianity and so on. I don't really have any problem with that. I think taking a good look at the way we do church and the way we live our lives can only be a positive thing. Beyond that, though, Rob Bell said many things that came close to making a point or teaching a sound theological truth, but he never quite made it. He always fell short, way short, of saying anything conclusively. When I read Brian McLaren's answer to the 'homosexual' question, I was left with a similar feeling. He didn't really say anything besides 'it's complicated' and 'we're thinking about it'. I understand he has a desire to not speak half-cocked. He doesn't want to shoot off at the mouth and say something that is lacking in wisdom or love. The thought he gave to the question before he spoke was admirable, but...as believers our right and priviledge and comission is still to "speak the truth in love". There is absolute truth, and even in a post-modern, relativistic culture, it is relevant! By the grace of God and the leading of the Holy Spirit we can correctly grasp the meaning of scriptures. If our desire is truly for His glory, and we are not afraid of walking into uncomfortable places for the truth, then He will reveal His truth! Praise God! The fear of God is the beginning of ALL wisdom!
Saturday, April 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I admire your tone in this blog. I think that for a lot of people like myself, we don't find the scriptures as cut and dry and understandable as they have been taught to us to be in the past. In fact, in some cases, I think that we have simply just been reading the bible through a lens that really has fogged things up for me a lot in my life growing up. When I started reading the bible for myself in high school I began to see grand inconsistencies with my life and the culture of my church in comparison with the way of life described in the gospels. I couldn't reconcile the differences until I started hearing teaching that allowed more room to think attempt to view the bible in it's historic and literary context. From my viewpoint, Rob Bell and Brian McLaren have a whole lot to say that is substantial in content, but not necessarily if one is reading or hearing their thoughts through a lens that is attempting to draw conclusive doctrinal statements out of them. I speak this in love, brother. :)
Rangerdavie,
I really do appreciate your thoughtful comments. I too have looked at scripture, then at my own life and my church and seen some...disparity, to say the least. Attempting to look at scripture through a historic and cultural lens is valuable, and yet I COMPLETELY disagree with the idea that when doing so, you somehow become incapable of distinguishing objective truth. If we accept the fact that we serve a big and infinite God, then we can easily arrive at the conclusion that His truths while discernible, are not finite. We may not be able to understand the full scope of some truths, but we CAN discern His intent through the Holy Spirit. To believe that scriptures can't be accurately interpreted because of our 'lens' through which we see it, is just as foundation shattering as saying the Bible is not the authoritative word of God. You may not agree, but it is a slippery slope.
Post a Comment