Friday, February 15, 2008

I was reading some verses this morning about the Holy Spirit. I just touched on the subject. I was really looking for verses describing how to "Walk in the Spirit". Most of the verses I encountered, at least through the gospels, referred to the Holy Spirit. Its interesting how all through Acts and into the first half of Romans 'it' is always referred to as the 'Holy Spirit', but almost every reference to 'it' after Romans the 'Holy' part is dropped. It's just the 'Spirit'. I'm assuming that as long as the 'S' is capitalized then it is referring to the Holy Spirit. Which also means that it is referring to a person. The third person in the Trinity. So, every time I've referred to the Spirit as an 'it' in this post is completely incorrect. Because, in fact, He is a person as much as God is a person. So I just started to notice that Jesus made a really big deal about the Holy Spirit coming and helping His followers after He was gone. To the early Church He was essential. They sat around in Jerusalem simply waiting for Him to arrive after Jesus had been taken up. When He came, it was with power and magnificent signs. Tongues of flame were above all the believers heads and they were all prophesying in different languages. I have trouble imagining the presence of the Holy Spirit feeling that real and palpable. From there the church exploded. Believers, by the power of the Holy Spirit, were preaching and people were being saved by the thousands. All of that is pretty well know. At least, I've heard it preached on a few times. Something that puzzled/troubled me was how in several passages later on in Acts there were these preachers of the Gospel who would go into an area and preach the Word and people would get saved, but later Paul would come to those people and asked if they had been baptized in the Holy Spirit. It seemed to me that they were saved, THEN they received the Holy Spirit. That was a little tough to understand as I had always believed that when you were saved the Holy Spirit can to live in you. I'm not saying that isn't true, either. I just don't think I've heard too much about this at all from hardly any pulpit. I mean, if the Spirit is the only way we have to combat the flesh and walk in Righteousness, why don't I hear more about it. It seems not just important, but FUNDAMENTAL to walking the victorious Christian life. I am not talking about the jumping in the air, shouting in 'tounges', shaking on the ground, etc. version of the Holy Spirit, unless that is how He chooses to reveal Himself at a time. I'm talking about the the Heavenly Counselor/Helper who came from Heaven to Earth to dwell in us. I'm talking about the method God chooses to move on this earth. Dire consequences are set aside for anyone who blasphemes the 'Spirit' or quenches it. I want to know what it means to walk in the fullness of the Spirit! I know way too little for someone who has grown up in church. And, I'm not at all pointing a finger at our Church leaders and speakers. Why are they responsible for spoon feeding every truth found in the word of God into our mouths? I know the reason so many have avoided this topic is the pain and abuse that have been associated with it. It has become a controversial issue because it has been misrepresented. We must dig for ourselves to truly grow.
As I wrestled with the issue of what it means to 'Walk in the Spirit' I got frustrated with the fact that I could not completely define it and comprehend it. All I know is that I am to set my mind and heart on God, meaning His Word. That just seemed too simple and vague, but as I was voicing this to my patient wife she explained it in a way that made perfect sense.(God blessed me with a wife who is very different from myself. While I am analytical and sometimes very complex, Emily is black and white, right or wrong. I think every analytical mind needs someone close who is grounded like that.) She just said that we have to take what we know from the Word and start walking it out as best we can. I don't need to understand every facet of what it means to 'Walk in the Spirit' and until I take steps to actually do it, my understanding of it will be very dim. How can I really understand what it means to swim in the ocean until I've jumped in. Reading all the books in the world will help very little if I've never stepped foot in water. Also, if there were some detailed outline of how to walk in the Spirit I doubt my eyes would be humbly focused on Him for the next step. It seems like the Lord requires those shaky first steps of obedience & faith in so many things. The reward or understanding always follow. Praise Our God who is always sooo Good to us. He is truly the only one worth of praise!

1 comment:

Raj said...

Hi Mike,

Its me, Raj. I just signed up for blogspot. My id is josephonamission. I'll be checking on your blog from time to time.

In Christ's Love,
Raj

1 Pet 4:10-11