So...its been almost a year since I last posted on this blog. My worldview and perspective on this country and culture have evolved and matured since I last wrote. I, obviously, still don't think I've got 'the answer' or the exact handle on how to approach this crazy, complicated, and messed up world we all live in. But, I do think that over the past few months I've gained knowledge and wisdom that have me drawing closer to that perspective that Christ means us to take. I don't really know where to start so I'll just let fly and we'll see where this goes...
This world and country can not and will not be saved, strengthened, or even preserved by government or a political party. I believe America is a great country to live in, but like many things we call 'great' it has a dark underbelly. The conservative ideology states that smaller government is better, that a society and country work best when the government is strong enough to defend itself against other governments, but should be involved as little as possible in the day to day life of its people. It is good for building schools, paving roads, enforcing laws, and defending its people. Beyond that, it should take a back seat as we, the people, live our lives in our 'pursuit of happiness'. From what I understand, the basic structure and purpose of our constitution was to keep this government from trampling on the rights of the very people who were establishing it. They recognized the need to be governed and yet were wary of the power of those in government. Their system wasn't perfect, and I don't think it was meant to be. It was the best we could think up in this broken world with broken people. It was simply a framework that would allow as many people as possible to succeed and thrive and live freely. And it has worked very well. Over the past 230+ years America has grown from a rebellious colony into THE superpower in the world. But everything that goes up must come down. It is inevitable that America's time atop the pile of world powers will someday end. I believe there are many reasons why the decline has already begun. I'm not arrogant enough to say I understand all of them. I can only mention what I see. And most of my focus lies on the church. I see how the people of this country continue to turn further and further from their Creator. I see how the church in America has become so watered down and filled with flesh that it is ineffectual at best, and heretical at worst. This is not a finger pointing at all the different maladies of a sick bride. I freely point the finger at myself first. I am to blame as much as anyone else. I 'don't understand what I do, for what I want to do, I do not do, but what I hate I keep on doing'. I've been living a life so numbed and preoccupied with the things of this world that I have become almost completely ineffective. Thanks be to His Grace, because that is all that brings me back to Him and draws me forward. But...I was talking about the decline of America. I don't want to see this country fall into disarray. I believe there is still alot of good here, but it needs to be awakened. Not to save this country, but to save its people. My hope is not in this government to create heaven on earth. My hope is not in this church to create a christian sub-culture where everyone who calls him/herself a christian can be so comfortable and insulated from the world that they never have to grow, mature, and sacrifice. My hope must be in God alone. I want America to flourish, but I care more for the people. Not because I'm just 'that kind of guy', but because Christ commands it. I can so easily get caught up in the political talk shows and the right yelling at the left and the left yelling at the right. I have to remind myself that they will both fail. That, in the end, it is all about Him, that, "from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever". We are His and all the wisdom of the world will fail. I do have some ideas that I think would be better for this country and our government, and I can vote those convictions. But, my eyes have to be fixed on 'heavenly things, not on early things'. I want to see this world saved and its people healed. I don't think the conservatives with their moral righteousness can do it, and I don't think the liberals with their 'green' ideas and 'spread wealth around' mindset will either. The church is the only hope for this world. A self-sacrificing, love-in-the-face-of-persecution, spirit-filled, devoted, passionate, humble, and committed body of believers. A body of believers who are not divided by minor theological differences. A body who can walk in the gifts of the spirit, embrace each other, and cling to the Word. Lord, what can we do to help that come about!?! Start with me!
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment