Friday, March 27, 2009

Social Issues?

Certain social issues can quickly become very 'charged' and therefore political and controversial. As a Christ imitator in the south we are taught, for the most part, how to see certain political issues. It may be subtle, but the church seems to have taken sides in many of these "social issues". I'm not arguing that all of these views are necessarily wrong, but I am uncomfortable with how little thought(if any) goes into formulating these opinions on social and political issues. I know that I have walked in lockstep with the conservative movement both politically and socially. I even had a hard time understanding how a believer could really love God and vote Democrat, and I don't think I was alone. Some of my more recent reading material has challenged this view, though. I don't consider myself a "wave in the sea tossed to and fro by every wind of teaching", but I do enjoy seeking out different viewpoints. Romans 12:2 says "...that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Our Pastor says that truth need not fear evidence. And I would say that real truth shouldn't fear opposing viewpoints. Its important to engage and grapple with ideas and opinions that may clash with our own in order to hold fast to the truth and discard the lies. As believers we can't be afraid of being wrong sometimes. I'm not talking about doubting the scriptures. I'm speaking of constantly evaluating our faith and beliefs in light of the scripture to see if we are really walking in the fullness of God. I think God uses many different avenues to awaken us and shake us from our ignorant slumber. We don't necessarily have to agree with every aspect of a person's belief system, but we may learn something in the process of listening to them. In the end, we are just striving to be more like Christ.

No comments: