Sunday, July 5, 2009

Transformed...

I've been struggling recently... I realize that within the Christian community that can mean a number of things. I mean it in the sense that when I look at my life I'm not convinced that it points to a god, let alone the one true God. Let me explain... I have been struggling with a certain sin for more than 15 years with little more than temporary victories. While I effectively avoid the 'big sins', my life is filled with petty little sins which I know God views as anything but. I am too proud to befriend the low, I am too selfish to care for the poor and the hurting, I am too lazy to pursue Him faithfully, and I'm too content to do anything about it. I know these things don't sound all that bad. I may have just described you, or a majority of the people you go to church with. My intention here is not to cast stones....at least not at anyone else. When I ask the question, "Does my life point to another reality? Do my actions require an explanation? Does my life reflect the fact that I serve the Creator and Sustainer of the universe?" The answer, I think, is 'NO'.

If we are a "new creation" then why do we look so much like the world? I am aware that this is a VERY old question. I'm not the first to ask this question. I'm probably not the first one to ask this question today. As I continue to sincerely try to live a life 'worthy of the calling I have received'. I come in contact more and more with the reality of my own weakness. The church in America is in the place its in for a multitude of reasons. But, one of these reasons has to be that we no longer rely on the power of the Lord. We talk about faith all the time, but the truth is that God plays only a minor role in most of our lives. I'm saying that our lives don't effectively point to a power greater than us. I'm saying that the state of our lives and our churches indicate that we have been trusting God for salvation, then said, "OK God...We'll take it from here". Our churches have been built and sustained by the giftedness and talents of the leaders. Now, the talents we have were MADE for the benefit of the church, but they were not intended to be all that the church relies on. How can the Church be the Body of Christ on earth without the power of Christ running through its veins. But, we still linger so many times in our own strength, instead of relying on His. Our strength will only take us so far. His strength is infinite. And this is my whole point. If we have access to this limitless power for transformation, salvation, and regeneration, then why do our lives look so.......human.

I am the chief of all sinners here. I long to walk in this. To be able to tell you what its like on the 'other side'. But, I am so easily satisfied with so much less. My prayer is, and will continue to be that God would not let us be satisfied with a Christianity that 'has a form of godliness, but denies its power'.

One quick note, I am not talking about something strictly emotional. We do not need a spiritual 'high'. I'm talking about lasting change affected by the power of God in our lives. I have no taste or desire to be 'on fire', and then quickly 'burn out'. I don't want something that can not be sustained, or that relies on us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

enjoyed hearing what is on your heart and mind Michael. I have some thoughts..no answers of course. I have been considering the same question in the form of "Does my life bring GLory to GOd"? If that is my desire, what am I willing to do different or less/more of to change? I think for me there is a huge connection to my own plans getting in the way, or not even asking the question at the point of decision but just living out of habit. I'd like the habit to be to live out of the desire for HIs Glory, whatever it looks like. Mom,