Friday, March 12, 2010

A New Gospel?

Well its been months since my last post, but since I doubt anyone is reading this, its no big deal...right? Here's something that's been on my mind recently, though. 'Communicating the gospel in 2010', especially in the south. I hear various voices say, "We need to learn how to communicate the Gospel effectively to reach the current generation. The church is in decline and that's the main reason why." Maybe... I can see that this is a serious issue. The Good News is the Good News, it is timeless. But how do we present this truth to a new generation in a way that they can hear?
I was talking to the pastor of a new church plant in our area(they started about a year ago) that is doing some new things to reach people. They have an aggressive and somewhat controversial marketing campaign aimed at reaching the de-churched and the un-churched. They created an atmosphere within the church (which was just a few adjoining rooms) that felt anything but churchy. I asked the pastor of this hip, new church,"What's was the point? Are you just trying to have the 'coolest' church in town?" His answer was simple and interesting. He basically said, "We know people are going to be offended by the gospel. We know its going to be a stumbling block. That's OK. We just don't want to see people stumbling and tripping over all this other stuff before they ever get to the cross." Not a bad point. The first step in learning how to communicate the gospel to a generation is finding out exactly what 'trips them up'. More to come....

No comments: