Monday, March 3, 2008

Political Activist?

OK, I've been reading this book called Power to the People, by Laura Ingraham. Its really fascinating to me since I know so very little about policies and the political process in general. I seemed to make it through high school and college with only the simplest and most superficial understanding of our government and the influences and ideologies that have so much impact on our culture, our country, and therefore the world. This book was written by a 'conservative' to educate and encourage people to take part in engaging and influencing the governing powers. This could be at the neighborhood level all the way up to the federal government. I've become more and more concerned with the state not just of our culture(which as a Christian, I've long been aware of its decay), but of our country. This country was unique from its inception, because of the foundation that our founding fathers set in place. The ideas were noble and the laws were upright, BUT they were also wise in the way they acknowledged man's tendency towards corruption. The Constitution and Bill of Rights, were created by minds that accepted and believed the truths found in the Bible. There have been many imitators of our structure of government, but few have had the success that we have had because, it seems, they have tried to put the framework in place devoid of the moral/religious connection.
This brings me to my next question, "Is it worth fighting for?". I believe ABSOLUTELY! What exactly is a Christians 'next move'. I think its EXTREMELY important that as Christians we read, watch, and think critically about the direction of our nation and its leaders. We MUST be involved. But how and to what extent. One thing we have to remember is that:

"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places."



3 comments:

Mr.Seder said...

Do you really think that we should strive to be a "Christian" nation? Does the bible really talk about the Christian movement getting involved with the power structures of the world? Should we use government to and force and compel people to follow "Christian Values" just because we have the power and influence? Doesn't Christianity thrive when it is on the underside of power? Just some thoughts....

Mr.Seder said...

Typo.... Should we use the government to force and compel...

Mike Craig said...

Mr. Seder,
I understand what you're point, but I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. This should not be a 'Christian' nation, or any sort of a Theocracy. We shouldn't try to 'take over' our government, because history reveals that power corrupts even the most well intentioned people. Jesus said that his kingdom was not, "...of this world..." so it would be foolish for us to try and establish one now. BUT! A nation WAS founded using biblical wisdom and anchored in the Judean/Christian value system. It set forth a system of government which was more stable and effective than any government previously conceived. It also fiercely protected the rights & freedoms of its people. Those freedoms and rights are eroding under waves of wrong thinking and ideas. To be conservative is to hold tightly to the Constitution and its original intent. To be conservative it to 'conserve' the Constitution and its laws. That is what we should fight for, but always remembering that our faith is not in any way dependant on the state of our nation. Our nation, though, is dependant on the faith of its people.